Steel Wire with a 9 gauge (wire thickness) is the standard gauge for most projects. Heavier and lighter gauge options are available depending on the project requirements. A heavier 6 gauge is used for many sports applications such as backstops and batting cages or a high security application for a prison.
- Galvanized - a Standard in the fence industry. Product is woven into chain link rolls and then hot dip galvanized for protection. See ASTM A392.
- Aluminized (Aluminum Coated) - The wire is coated with aluminum prior to being woven. This process provides the least likelihood of rusting and has a smooth surface. Aluminized chain link is the RECOMMENDED choice of fabric for all projects utilizing galvanized fence posts and rails. When installing privacy slats, aluminized fabric is chosen for ease of the slat installation. See ASTM A491
- Vinyl Coated - The vinyl coated wire is available in green, black, brown, and white. The gauge of the fabric should include the gauge of the steel beneath the vinyl. As stated above, the standard industrial gauge is 9 gauge steel (before the application of the vinyl). Vinyl coatings are specified by 3 classes. See ASTM F668.
- Class I consists of polymer coatings extruded over the steel core.
- Class 2a consists of polymer coating extruded and adhered to the steel core.
- Class 2b consists of polymer coating fused and adhered to the steel core.
Mesh Sizes - Various mesh sizes (opening in the fence fabric) are available. The most common is the 2" mesh. The 1" mesh is popular on higher security projects.
Allegheny Fence utilizes 20 or 40 weight pipe (posts and top (or bottom) rails. The pipe can be galvanized or vinyl coated (to match the vinyl fabric choice). See ASTM F1043
Pipe Diameters - Standard Pipe diameters are available for the height of the fence chosen. Your Allegheny Fence representative will recommend the proper diameters for your project.
Pipe Thickness - Allegheny Fence utilizes three different pipe thicknesses
- Industrial 40 weight pipe is the typical Industrial choice.
- A lighter pipe, but still a quality option, is the 20 weight pipe class.
- The residential .065 pipe wall thickness is generally not recommended for industrial fencing.
Allegheny Fence uses high strength galvanized pipe per ASTM F1043 Group 1C (40 weight) or group 1C-L (20 weight).
Pipe Coating - Galvanized pipe would be used with either the galvanized or aluminum coated fence fabric. The vinyl coating pipe is offered with a PVC or Polyester coating.
- Top of the fence - Top rail or top tension wire with or without barbed wire.
- Bottom of the fence - bottom rail or tension wire
- Single or Double Swing,
- Cantilever or Overhead Slide,
- Vertical Pivot with or without Access Control.